Summary: Sets up and operates slide forming and presses to automatically punch, cut, and form metal strips and wire by action of opposing tools to form/fabricate parts by performing the following duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Reads and interprets blueprints, job routers, sketches and related technical data to determine set-up procedures.
Selects cams, forming tools, and dies/die sets according to setup charts.
Aligns and bolts specified cams to shaft, cut off frame, forming tools and dies to slides.
Aligns and bolts specified die sets to press bed.
Threads stock through stock straighteners or feeder and adjusts to synchronize action of slides or die set that feed, cut off, and form part.
Turns flywheel by hand to produce sample part and compares sample with specifications.
Readjusts machine to achieve specified product dimensions. Completes first piece inspection report.
Starts machine and observes operation. Periodically gauges or measures parts for conformance to specifications.
Removes, replaces, and labels containers of finished parts when specified number have been produced.
Inspects parts for defects.
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies :
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations.
- Technical Skills – Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
- Quality – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Comprehends Quality Manual and applicable procedures; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Quantity – Meets productivity standards; Completes work in timely manner; Strives to increase productivity.
- Safety – Observes safety and procedures; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly.
- Adaptability – Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Attendance/Punctuality – Is consistently at work and on time.
- Dependability – Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions.
- Initiative – Undertakes self-development activities; Asks for and offers help when needed.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Mathematical Skills – Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Blue Print Reading – Ability to read and interpret diagrams, dimensions and tolerances.
- Education and/or Experience – One year certificate from technical school; or two to three years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Communication Skills – Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedures manuals; Ability to write detailed machine set-up procedures.
- Reasoning Ability – Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works with moving mechanical machinery; The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand and sit; The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms; The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds; Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision and depth perception.